The following list gives a general guideline of what is considered to be better practices for using a mailing list. Some of these rules can be applied to other mailing lists you get involved with.
- Use a descriptive subject.
- This list will remove most attachments and convert/corrupt the rest. If you have a file you wish/need to share, post it to a website somewhere and include the URL in your post.
- This group is for the support, discussion, and advocacy of all free software, not just Linux related projects.
- This list is here for discussion, not just announcements and problem reports.
- Trim your replies - Leave only what you think is important to your reply.
- Comment below the original posters section.
- Don't let your feelings get hurt.
- Don't advocate proprietary software - especially not the pirating of it.
- Hardware questions are on-topic.
- Be involved.
- Format your message for readability. Lines should wrap around the 75th column.
- Avoid using an e-mail client that does not send plain text messages. Do not send HTML or rich-text messages to the list unless you include a plain-text version of the message.
- Don't reply to spam, just delete it.
- Make sure your comments are for the whole list before you press the send button, because that is where it will go.
- 'Reply' will go to the list and not the sender by default.
- ecartis eats any mail that is not text/plain.